Wham-O® toys form deep emotional connections with people over time. They're among the best-known outdoor brands, at a time when the backyard is the new vacation spot! You couldn’t be a kid and grow up without playing with Wham-O toys.
Wham-O is a lifestyle brand that has been synonymous with fun, play and active sports ever since Arthur “Spud” Mellin and Richard Knerr founded the company almost 75 years ago! Wham-O manufactures and markets some of the most highly recognizable consumer brands in the world today, including classics like Frisbee® discs, Slip ’N Slide® water slides, Hula Hoop® toy hoops, Hacky Sack®, Super Ball®, Trac-Ball®, and Boogie® Body Boards. Wham-O sports appeal to all ages! They're steeped in the cultural tradition of classic, well-made toys.
The Frisbee® and Hula Hoop® were inducted into the National Toy Industry Hall of Fame (1998, 1999). The Super Bowl name came from the Super Ball and is also on exhibit in the Strong Museum! Wham-O toys are sold in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Japan, Korea, and Australia. Watch a classic Wham-O Frisbee TV commercial!
Fun Facts about Frisbee:
* The Frisbee is one of the very few toys that have sold more than 200 million pieces.
* It soars, spins, skips, and sails. It flips, and floats, flutters, and flies.
* Frisbee connects people with each other.
* 1957 - Wham-O introduced the Frisbee, known then as the Pluto Platter.
* Frisbee or Pluto Platter? Inspired by the countrywide obsession with the UFO phenomena, Wham-O founders named the most popular flying disc the Pluto Platter™ Putt Putt.
* 1958 - The brand name Frisbee was introduced, influenced by the comic strip called, “Mr. Frisbie” and by the tins from the Frisbie Pie Co.
* 1958 - Wham-O files for Frisbee trademark.
* c.1964 - Ed Headrick created official Pro Model Frisbee, with a black racing stripe, Olympic Rings, ridges in the upper surface of the disc, and the official weight printed on a gold decal.
* Headrick founded Disc Golf, the Disc Golf Association, now known as professional disc golf Association.
* 1967 - International Frisbee Association was formed by Headrick.
* 1967 - Frisbee Football, where two teams competed on a football size field, started. Later this was known as Ultimate Frisbee, where you scored by catching a Frisbee in the opponents end zone.
* 1974 - World Frisbee Disc Championships were held in the Rose Bowl in front of 50k fans.
* 1974 - At Dodger Stadium, Alex Stein, a 19 year old, ran out into the field during a Dodgers / Red Game with his dog Ashley Whippet and a handful of frisbees. Alex threw, Ashley ran, jumped and caught ... and Canine Frisbee or Disc Dog was born.
* 1976 - Headrick left Wham-O, patented Disc Golf, oversaw construction of 800 disc golf courses in 20 countries.
* By 1982, IFA has 112,000 members in 30 countries.
* 1998 - The Frisbee® was inducted into the Strong Museum National Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
* In 2018 - Wham-O's 70th birthday, 27 unique Frisbees were marketed by Wham-O.
2022 - Frisbee 65th birthday
© 2021 Anjar Co. LLC & Becker Associates LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Frisbee®, Hula Hoop®, Super Ball®, Slip N’ Slide®, Hacky Sack®, Boogie Board®, and Trac-Ball® and logos are registered Trademarks of Wham-O®.
No items found.